Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in
Convergent Media and Communication Technology
About the Programme
The Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Convergent Media and Communication Technology (BA-CMCT) Degree Programme provides students with a quality inter-disciplinary education that offers a unique blend of media theory and practice in association with communication technology, so as to nurture professional and versatile talents to confidently face challenges and opportunities in the age of rapidly developing digital media and communication industries. The increasing convergence of Communication, Computing and Content in the digital media evolution is the driving force that calls for a new generation of capable talents who possess both good technological ability and communication competence.
Based on a well-balanced curriculum, the BA-CMCT programme includes major study areas that cover modules in three key aspects. Students will, namely:
- Master the basic technologies of interactive media, Internet communications and mobile platforms;
- Practice a variety of digital media production methods involving sound, TV, video, desktop publishing, web-media and micro-film; and
- Understand the human communication fundamentals associated with communication theories, intercultural communication, media law and ethics.
The BA-CMCT programme aims to develop students’ various capabilities. Students are trained to:
- Work competently with the depth of communication knowledge and technological skills to begin professional practice in media-related industries, and/or to pursue postgraduate studies;
- Apply a body of relevant inter-disciplinary theories and practices to the development of interactive media and mobile applications;
- Pursue personal development and excellence with logical and creative thinking to solve a range of problems;
- Communicate effectively with users of new media at varying levels of technical proficiency in a global context;
- Reflect critically and ethically on convergent media practices with a strong sense of social responsibility; and
- Possess basic understanding of a broad range of disciplines, encompassing general knowledge, social sciences, business and management.
Students are required to complete a total of 120 credits from a four-year curriculum consisting of Major Study modules, Common Core modules, Business Education modules and Elective modules.
|Study Areas||No. of|
|Total No. of
|1. Major Studies||54||9||63|
|2. Common Core Curriculum|
|i. General Education||15||6||21|
|iii. Quantitative Methods & IT Skills||6||6|
|3. Business Education||6||-||6|
|4. Free Electives||-||6||6|
With special emphasis on cultivating students’ ability to work effectively in the evolution of the media convergence environment, the BA-CMCT programme combines several unique features:
- Technological Ability – mastering the new media technologies so as to strengthen the practice of a variety of digital media production methods.
- Communication Competency – having a solid grasp of the human communication fundamentals.
- Interdisciplinary Training – merging knowledge and skills in information and communication technology (ICT) with journalism and communication.
- Balanced Development – possessing multi-disciplinary learning abilities to develop all-round lifelong learning attitude and interests.
- Storytelling Specialty – applying new media tools and methods to writing, conveying and sharing of news and information content.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs)
Upon completion of the BA-CMCT programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the theory and concepts underlying digital multimedia, networks and communication systems.
- Apply current techniques, skills and tools for the creation, production and interaction of multimedia content, through exploring and integrating state-of-the-art technologies to achieve specific communication goals.
- Analyse issues or problems related to media convergence to help identify and define requirements for the design of their solutions.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of a system, process or component of interactive media on online and mobile communication platforms to support and promote convergent media practices.
- Demonstrate good management, coordination, cooperation and relevant skills in group activities to meet targets or deadlines.
- Show the ability to communicate ideas and concepts clearly and logically in both oral and written forms.
- Discuss and explain the impact of media convergence in society from the perspectives of ethical issues and globalisation with cultural diversity.
QF Information on the Convergent Media and Communication Technology Programme
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No. : 18/000839/L5
Registration Validity Period: 08/11/2018 – 31/08/2026
Tel: +852 39635000